This first one you've seen before (the unfinished top) if you check out our blog regularly. It was made for David's niece, who is his godchild.
I thought that one was big enough, so I had blocks left to make a little baby quilt. It's around 30" square. I decided not to put batting in it, to make it for more of a summery quilt. I backed it with pink minky. It ended up being really hard to quilt, without the batting in for stability. It's still cute, but not that great of a quilting job!
I was so excited about quilting after our quilt retreat at the end of January. The first quilt above was the one I started there. When it got to the point where it needed to be pinned and I didn't want to do it on my living room floor, I went looking through my stuff so I could start another quilt. I don't have very much fabric at all, so it was hard to find something. Looking between patterns I've printed off and the fabric I had, I finally decided I had something to make. The pattern I chose was "Vintage Turnovers" from here. It was for just a small quilt, but I added to it to make it the size I wanted. I had a fat quarter pack of 7 fabrics that I used for the triangles. My SIL Marti had given them to me several years ago. I needed a light colored fabric and I found this pin tuck fabric. It is vintage fabric that I got from my MIL last summer. I thought it was neat to use both of those sets of fabric because this quilt is for my SIL, Mary, whose birthday was yesterday, and the fabric originated from her mom and sister:) I bought the fabrics for the borders and binding, and a flannel fabric for the back.
Here are some close-ups of the applique and separate blocks.
Here is the back.
And last, but not least, is my baby boy quilt. (My baby girl quilt has been made for almost 3 years . . . and has been being stored.) Hopefully in a month or so, we'll know if we need to use it or store it:) I chose the pattern from a couple pictures I'd printed off here and here. This was just a kind of decide as you go quilt, since I didn't have a pattern for it. I'm pretty sure the pictures I looked at probably had 12" blocks and mine were only 8", so it was a bit more difficult to decide what to do. The fabric I chose was basicgrey/Urban Couture by Moda. This line originally came out as scrapbook paper (which I have scrapbooked with) and then they made fabric with the same designs. I bought way too much fabric for it since I didn't really have a clue what I should get . . . and I wanted to get a decent variety. This line of fabric also has reds and yellows in it. I'm going to go back to get some reds and yellows to add to my leftovers for a large quilt (not of the same pattern). I love how the quilt turned out (my photograpy, not so much)!!!
Here are a couple closer up shots.
I backed this one with minky, too. I love to have it soft and cuddly for baby. This brown minky is different than I've used before (I've only used the plain kind for backing a quilt), but I saw it at one of my favorite quilt shops in the 40% off section and decided to give it a try. I had no problem at all and really love it!!!
And a little closer up . . . It decided to be a really dark brown in the close up!!!
So, there you have it . . . my quilts for the year so far:) Hope you weren't too bored with all the info and photos!!